Sunday, November 1, 2009

Moving Today!

So today is the day! I am in sort of a daze. From moving out of my apartment, to packing up alll my shit to repacking and repacking and saying goodbye to my friends (tear!) it doesn't feel like it's real. I am doing laundry at the moment at Ilana's house (my home away from home in Toronto--basically my adopted Jewish Toronto family) and watching the movie Jumanji amidst more packing. Oh dear. I have always wanted to become one of those people who packs everything at least a month in advance and arrives with everything neatly pressed and colour coded, with no extra luggage fees (I should think not!) and looking glossy and impossibly fresh looking even after a 36 hour journey of hell. Who are those people? Because they definitely exist.

So what am I doing on my last day in this lovely, beautiful, wonderful country? Eating bagels. And gettin' Timmies. And chocolate babka. And packing packing packing. I am glad I have had these two months to do everything I have wanted to do in Toronto--I probably wouldn't have done nearly as much if I didn't know I had a deadline. Which is kind of sad. Why is it that a deadline puts things into perspective so much? I normally would never want this to happen--but if we all knew exactly when we were going to die, I think we would live our lives very differently. That deadline works like no other. In the past two months I have seen all the people that I haven't really seen at all in the past year and a half I have been living here. Why as soon as you are leaving with the possibility of never seeing that person again is it all of a sudden imperative that you see that person? In theory you could just never get together your whole lives, you would just have the comfort of knowing that you could.

Anyway, back to the packing I suppose. And the bagels. There is definitely a deadline on good bagels. Therefore I plan to eat them in abundance--even though I have had about two in the past year....

1 comment:

  1. ELISE CHRISTINE DOHERTYNovember 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM

    Glossy and impossibly fresh travellers have handlers, large bank accounts and they are generally members of the Chruch of Scientology. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE ONE.

    ReplyDelete