Sunday, November 22, 2009

British Sex Education

My friend Paul sent me this article from the Calgary Herald and it disturbed me greatly so I decided to post it here. From doing all the Sex 101 talks with SHEC (Student Health Education Centre) at McMaster I couldn't even believe what this article was saying. One in ten Brits believe that having sex standing up is a form of contraception? Dear god. For some reason this is the part that disturbs me most:

More than a quarter--27 per cent --admit to being too embarrassed to ask the questions they would really like, while 47 per cent never discuss their sex lives with their friends.

Well, where's the fun in that? Although, I would be really interested in knowing what Canada's general knowledge about sex is. I think that on the whole, no really talks about sex and sexual health as they should--especially from what I've seen of university students' sex knowledge. Either way, it's interesting that the Brits even did a study like that, and that it ends up in a Canadian paper that seems to be judging it. I wonder what Alberta's propensity to discuss sex and sexual health is? Probably not much better.

Although the implications that that study presents are kind of terrifying. Wow. I am decidedly keeping it in my pants....

No comments:

Post a Comment