Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Month in Review

Wow. I have been here a month. It's hard to believe really, but at the same time it feels like I've been here forever. Every time I use words like 'flat', 'takeaway' and 'wee' I feel like a jackass. I haven't adopted the accent yet (the use of the word yet is extremely important) and I hope to god I never EVER sound like a true Aberdonian. Good god. I mean it's all well and good but most of the time it just sounds like they are vomiting up their nose. Anyway. Besides all that I have had an excellent, difficult and surprising month. A month of friends, moving, parties, Marks and Spencer, men, battling the north sea winds and rain, job hunting till I went cross eyed and sausage rolls. Ahhhh the sausage rolls.

And at the end of it, what do I have? A job. That's right people, I am officially a working woman in Scotland--making an income if only to further my Marks and Spencer addiction and my worryingly increasing tolerance to alcohol (used to be 2 pints and I was good and gone...now it takes a bit of work. A bit depressing, that). Next on the list, an apartment. Now that I am a part of the world of pay checks I am looking for a new flat (see, I STILL feel like a jackass even typing it!) come January so I can stop living out of a suitcase and start putting things into proper drawers. Ha. My drawers will have drawers. Oh shut up Emily.

After that: a proper gym pass that lets me go whenever I want, and none of this 'peak' or 'off peak' nonsense. Honestly! Why can't I go to the gym past 4 pm? What is wrong with this system!?

Then, I am determined to find a proper yoga studio, one that does not practice group orgies with old people wearing white tighty whities. Did I tell you about that? Wandered into the studio off the street expecting to find a yoga studio and instead found a group of half naked people laying on the ground (not a one younger than about 75) with this old man standing at the front of the room in the smallest pair of white undies I have ever seen, demonstrating something. What he was demonstrating I will never truly know. And what a sad loss for me.
Anyway, after I got over the initial stuttering and apologises and choking on the foul incense clouding the air, I ran for the hills in shock, with my friend Cat following close behind me. Note to self--never wander into a random yoga studio when you don't have an appointment. You never know what the room could be being used for. At least I hope that wasn't the yoga I witnessed. Dear god.

I've found that people see yoga here as some sort of kitschy, hippie nonsense, and those that do it incredibly new age and incredibly fit. Not quite the same in Canada where everyone and their dog (their downward dog! Ohhhhh I am on fire!) seems to do yoga. Here it seems an intense calling. And there are NEVER, EVER any classes on the weekend. WTF?!? just like most things are not really open on the weekend, or are not open past 3 anyway, there are no yoga/gym classes, and nothing really to do. Apparently everyone is just sleeping off the alcohol from the night before. Oh how a part of me longs for the days of being able to go to a coffee shop at whatever time you wanted and just chill there for hours, meeting up with people and hanging out. Well, tough shit, because that is decidedly not going to happen in Scotland.

I sound quite bitter in this post, which, believe me, is not intended. Soon I will write one about how amazing everything is. Well, I suppose I amazed about my job. I can actually visualize a life here now. And that, my friends, is a wonderful thing.

Now excuse me while I get back to my sausage rolls.

4 comments:

  1. Whatever reason for which you might have moved to scotland, there are scores of people who will never get the chance to do what you have done and are heart-wrentchingly jealousy about it, myself included. Congrats and good luck. I'll probably check in on you now and then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily,

    I have been following your blog for a little while since my facebook newsfeed showed me your status with the link. What an incredible journey you are on. I totally understand why you have made this move. I am planning on making one myself in July when I will be moving to New Zealand to do teachers college. Congrats on being brave enough to follow your dreams (and to be close enough to Bath that you can go to the Austen festival!!).

    Cheers,

    Jen Sully

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Chris! That actually means so much--it's so hard to do, but I am definitely glad I just up and did it.

    And Jen--holy cow girl New Zealand!?! That is awesome! Remember the days of discussing Bristol uni? ahhhh how times change...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always did love any sort of tubular meat wrapped in dough. I'm glad they are so plentiful in Scotland. Congrats on the job! Finding a job is always an accomplishment, especially in a foreign country. I must admit, as an American who loves her country and therefore doesn't know anything about any other countries, I didn't know what Marks and Spencer was...so I googled it. Seeing that two of the most prominent deals on their homepage are "Dine in for 10 pounds" and "Wallace and Gromit Advent Calendar" I can only imagine what a joy it is to work there. Well done, you. So excited and inspired by your big move. We should have a skype date sometime soon! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete