Sunday, September 13, 2009

I think I am going to start a running list of everything I think I am going to miss about Canada/Toronto/Calgary.

I already have a list of things I need to do before I leave Toronto, and (not) surprisingly my friends have been with me completing a lot of these 'tasks'. On this was of course going to Toronto Island, inhabiting Queen west as much as possible, trying almost everything on the menu at Fresh, seeing a movie at TIFF, etc. etc. But then I started to realize that these are definitely not the things I will be missing while living abroad. The things I take for granted and do everyday will be (shockingly obvious I know....).

And so....

1. Hot Yoga.

I am an addict for Hot yoga. I love it--though it is like excercising in hell, it is a hell that you want to keep coming back to over and over and over. You just feel so accomplished when you leave, and you've sweated your entire body weight in sweat out of your skin. I know it sounds gross, and it is, but it is soooooo good at the same time. And I've checked. No hot yoga studio in Aberdeen :(

2. Walking down Yonge street

Every morning, I wake up unnecessarily early, strap on my hiking boots no matter what dress I am wearing (yes, I am one of those women) and trek the one hour trek from St. Clair and Avenue to Yonge and Adelaide. Yes, it is far, but so amazingly entertaining. The amount of crazies that collect on yonge street in the early hours of the morning is brilliant. Throw in some random stops at pastry shops along the way (Petite Thuet! Oh how your chocolate croissant envelops the senses!) with my walking buddy Nina (yep there is a coworker who joins me in this madness...) and you get an amazing morning walk that I truly will miss.

3. The Prairies

I definitely took this for granted when I move from Alberta to Ontario, but I think I will get a chance to see them even less when I leave the country. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is anything near Aberdeen that is even remotely like the large, vast expanses of prairie land in Alberta that seems to go on for miles and miles--and then springs up into gigantic Rocky Mountains.

4. Chicken Shawarma from Mashu Mashu in the (Forest Hill) Village

Brilliant, excellent and all around amazing. The best is loading it up with baba ganoush and this awesome tomatoey eggplant sauce that I'm sure has a name but I am not privy to it. Their fries are delightful as well. The only thing off-putting is the amount of people that give you very pointed stares as soon as you enter the restaurant, as if you don't belong. Don't worry Forest Hill, I know I don't have the income bracket to belong. You don't have to tell me twice....

5. Gossiping about the Canadian publishing industry

Though I am sure this can still be done abroad (especially with you Katie!) it just wont be the same. Being at the forefront of CanPublishing (as lame as that may sound) and reading the latest on The Quill and Quire and then dashing off for postwork drinks to discuss all the scandals (Oh the horror! Random House axed it's International Rights department!?!) will never get old. Plus, does anyone else love the fact that the Quill has an anonymous tip line??
Why Canada? Why?

This list will expand as I think about it more. . .

3 comments:

  1. You will also miss being able to look at people and say (wtih slight disgust and disappointment) "Hamilton" and have everyone around you know exactly what you mean.
    I will miss being the recipient of those comments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will still call you 'Hamilton' wherever you are in the world. You will always be the Hamilton of my heart. Now you just need to spell your name phoenetically and wear a terry cloth one piece hot pink onesy and the image in my heart will be complete...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will find myself a pink onesie and send you a photo of myself in the middle of Gore Park sitting on the lap of an obese man riding a scooter.
    You can take that to Scotland with you and tell people: "This is what Canada is like." It will be an amazing anthropological experiment.

    ReplyDelete