Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Note on the Title

Okay, I do realize that my blog title implies that I am a woman looking for her lost kilt, when women do not generally wear kilts....or do they? I mean, the thousands of uniform-clad Toronto girls I see walking around (especially in my neighbourhood of Forest Hill) in a kilt would prove that tradition wrong--unless they are just called tartan skirts. But the title "Where's my tartan skirt?" really does not have the same ring to it. And really just because women traditionally do not wear kilts should not mean we are restricted. Traditionally speaking we shouldn't wear pants either and you don't see any laws against that...well, in Canada anyway. And if my Women's Studies degree did anything, it was to teach me to degenderize (not sure if that's a word, but Women's Studies [and English lit] also taught me that I can make up words when needed...) the world around us. But I digress. Really, this whole post was to pre-empt the naysayers against my choice of title.
And anyway, maybe I did lose my kilt in Scotland...

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could be using "kilt" to signify a male much in the same form as one found on an oatmeal box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA, oh don't worry Diane, I am taking 'Scott's Porridge Oats' with me! Though I am sure I can probably buy it in EVERY store there....

    ReplyDelete